I think one’s attitude in life can effect every facet of their life. Much like one needs light to see the magic a kaleidoscope holds, one’s attitude can cast a spell on their life in either a positive or negative manner.
Wouldn’t it be great if we could wake up everyday to gentle birdsong like a fairytale princess? Unfortunately the reality is most mornings can lean toward the chaotic and can easily turn sour. Having a negative attitude could turn a not so good morning into the worst day ever! However if you’ve got a positive attitude your so-so morning could develop into a great day-even if things continue to make your mouth pucker.
I’m a naturally positive person. But being my own personal sun hasn’t always been easy for me. Over time I’ve learned a few things that help me to maintain a positive outlook.
- Be grateful. Keeping a gratitude journal or even acknowledging things you’re grateful for can really help you focus on the good things in your life, even if during a particularly difficult time it’s a smile from your child or a hot cup of coffee.
- Nurture your spirit. Do things that bring you pleasure and make you feel good. For me that’s writing, crafting, reading, and though I don’t do any volunteering now, in the past giving of my time has enriched my positive outlook in way I never imagined.
- Surround yourself with positive people. I’ve learned keeping a positive spirit and surrounding yourself with “the glass is half full” types can really help you remain positive in ways a “Debbie Downer” never could.
- Exercise. I never thought I’d say that but it’s true! I’ve never felt regretful after a workout, in fact just the opposite has happened. On occasion while running I’ve burst into laughter because I was enjoying myself so much!
- Disengage from negative self dialogue. Don’t berate yourself or focus on the things you may not exactly be thrilled about body wise, etc. If negative self talk is something you struggle with, I suggest you look in the mirror and tell yourself at least five things you like about yourself every day. Patting your own back is not a bad thing.
love & positivity,