When I think “comfort food” I think Cuban food. It’s what I grew up eating, most of my favorite dishes are Cuban and with two little boys home from school requesting comfort food I knew exactly the dish to make them. Ropa Vieja is Spanish for “old clothes”. It is a simple dish that is quite delectable.
I use a pressure cooker to make this recipe and have always done so. I imagine you could make this in a crock pot or on the stove but you’d have to make allowances for time. If you do, try this recipe in a crock pot or on the stove please come back and let me know how it all turned out for you.
- 2 lbs Flank Steak
- 1 whole medium onion peeled- I like the yellow or “sweet” variety.
- 3 bay leafs
- Salt 1 pinch
- Red wine suitable for drinking 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 – 1/2 of a red or green pepper chopped
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cocktail sauce
- Spanish olives
- 2 T Sazon completa* (store bought or make your own – recipe to follow.)
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- Fill your pressure cooker with water half way to the top.
- Place the Flank steak in the water with the whole onion on top. To easily peel the onion cut off both ends and remove first or second layer of skin.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water along with the bay leaf and wine. Cover the pan and cook over medium/low heat for about one hour to an hour and a half.
- Remove from heat and allow pressure to return to normal.
- Open lit and remove onion and set aside.
- Place steak on a large plate and set aside
- Reserve liquid in separate container
- “shred” meat by separating it with fork. I basically take a fork in each hand and separate the meat.
Step two: Prepare the “sofrito”
- Cut up onion (careful it will be hot) you can also place into a food processor
- Add oil to the pressure cooker. Turn heat on to low.
- Add in onion, chopped garlic, and pepper
- Add meat and brown for a few moments.
- Add in tomato sauce and cocktail sauce and olives and simmer until warm.
Serve over white rice.
Easy white rice recipe in rice cooker
- 2 cups rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
Sazon Completa recipe: Makes 1 1/4 cup.
- 4 T of kosher salt
- 6 T of granulated garlic
- 2 T oregano
- 4 T onion powder
- 2 T cumin
- 2 T black pepper
- 3 T dried lime zest
- 2 T dried parsley