Do you wake up excited because it means you get to have coffee? I know I do. I love coffee. One of the things I miss about living in Italy is a really good cappuccino. Not having a cappuccino or a milk frother doohickey to make a cappuccino I had to get creative. You know what they say, “necessity is the mother of invention”, we’ll I needed a cappuccino one morning last winter and this was how I discovered I could make a cappuccino without a machine.
Mind blown right?
All you need to make a cappuccino simply and easily without a machine or other contraption is a blender. Heck, you could probably even use a bottle for safe for warm beverages and then shake it REALLY HARD!
Here’s how to make a cappuccino without a machine:
1. Make your espresso. I use a moka pot.
2. Warm your milk (microwave or stove top is fine). I like to use 1/2 2% milk and 1/2 whole milk for a cappuccino, but you can use whatever milk you like.
3. Put warm milk in blender for 30 seconds to no more than a minute. The Vitamix is great for this sort of thing because it actually creates heat when it’s on high, so I don’t need to worry about my milk getting too cold.
4. Pour espresso into bottom of your mug. (FYI… It’s really hard to take a picture of yourself pouring coffee, while simultaneously trying not to burn yourself.)
5. Pour milk. Use a spatula a to gently scoop the froth into your mug.
6. Sprinkle your cappuccino with cocoa powder (optional)
7. Sweeten to taste and enjoy.
Note – You can mix your coffee and sugar and then froth but the level of frothiness won’t be the same.